Custom Tune Music Box, Making & Inspiration
Here are some installation tips and advice for installing the 18N music box movement.
1. To install the movement into a music box. The drilling (holes) positions for mounting screws were shown as green circles in the drawing.
2. Slowly put each screw directly into the position by hand (just let them loosely) while use another hand holding the movement to avoid dropping. Then, use a screwdriver to tighten them.
3. Please always using a proper size of screwdriver to avoid ruining the screw head.
4. Be careful not to tighten the mounting screws too tight or it will crack the soundboard (the mounting plate), especially when the soundboard made of softwood or has velvet attached. In this case, please try to adjust the mounting screws from a little bit loose until you get the best sound.
5. Always keeps the movement in dry place and avoid touching the comb and the cylinder with your bare fingers. It will cause rust and oxidize for long time.
6. The wind-up movement has a part called, the governor, it is a black rubber (like) part which controls the playing speed of the movement. Normally it will spin very fast but it can be stopped easily with gentle force. Please be careful not to touch or slide it up and down, it will affect the tempo of the tune.
7. In case of you would like to install any stopper which needs to unscrew the comb’s mounting screw, please do not unscrew the both of them at the same time. The comb will be moved to the wrong position and difficult to fix on your own. So always unscrew only one of them, not too loose and not too tight, it will affect the sound quality.
— Enjoy —